More than 1,000 drivers and riders expected to receive up to $300 under NTUC relief scheme

TLDR; The NTUC Freelancers and Self-Employed Unit rolls out second iteration of relief scheme to support freelance, delivery riders and riders; expected to receive up to $300.

The NTUC Freelancers and Self-Employed Unit (UFSE) Relief Scheme is expected to benefit freelance combi bus and limousine drivers who are members of the National Private Hire Vehicles Association (NPHVA), as well as delivery drivers and motorcycle riders who are members of the National Delivery Champions Association (NDCA).

The scheme was first launched last year, with this marking its second iteration.

More than 1,000 drivers and riders are expected to benefit from the scheme, which will be managed by the labour movement’s freelancers and self-employed unit.

How do I apply and who is eligible? 

Those eligible can apply from Monday (Aug 29) until Oct 28 online at this website.

Eligibility and payout amount will be determined by length of membership in either association, and type of vehicle used for work, and the cash will only be disbursed upon application.

Drivers and riders who require help to apply online can approach physical help desks.

According to NTUC, all applicants would be notified on the outcome of the application within six to eight weeks. Successful applicants can expect to receive their cash relief in two to four weeks after receiving the approval for their application.

To qualify, you need to be; 

  • To qualify for the maximum payout of $300, you must be an existing NPHVA or NDCA member of more than three months to the date they submit their application.

  • Must either be freelance drivers who drive limousines or combi buses of up to 13 seats, or delivery drivers who use a vehicle other than a motorcycle for deliveries.

  • Existing delivery riders who are members of NDCA of more than three months will receive $150

  • New members who have been with the associations for less than three months will receive $50 less in relief under the respective category for which they qualify – that is, either $250 or $100

  • Must have paid membership dues

  • Been in the trade for at least one month prior to submitting application

  • Are not recipients of the one-off relief of $150 for eligible taxi main hirers and private hire car drivers provided by the Government

  • Freelance drivers must be holding a valid vocational license

You will also be required to provide supporting documents such as proof of trade income, proof of vehicle type, proof of work activity and self-employed status.

I am not an NDCA or NPVHA member, can I still apply? 

If you meet the above eligibility criterias, but you’re not a member, you can proceed to sign up to be a NPHVA or NDCA member to apply for the scheme once your membership application is successful.

The scheme is part of the $1.5 billion support package announced in June to provide targeted relief for lower-income and more vulnerable groups.

About Author

Editing is my work.